Most experts agree the best time of year to clean your gutters is in the spring and fall. An early spring cleaning will help clear out all the leaves and debris from your gutters and ensure rainfall can flow freely into the spouts. A fall cleaning will get rid of all of those crisp, dry leaves before winter comes along and makes them soggy.
Knowing the best time of year to have gutters cleaned is important — you should also understand how often you should clean them.
How Often Should Gutters Be Cleaned?
You should get your gutters cleaned at least twice throughout the year. To make sure your gutters are operating as well as possible, you may want to get them cleaned every three months.
Getting your gutters cleaned during the spring and fall also allows you to get those two essential cleanings throughout the year. Those regular cleanings will help eliminate any debris buildup and allow your gutters to operate effectively.
Though spring and fall are great times to clean your gutters, there are a few factors that may affect how often you schedule a cleaning:
- Trees: What kind of trees do you have in your yard? Some trees may not be that much of an issue, while others drop heaps of leaves and debris into your gutters throughout the year. Pine trees usually shed heavy, and your gutters may fill with pine cones. Take a look at the type of trees in your yard to determine when to schedule a cleaning.
- Weather: If you live in an area with storms, you might find your gutters clogging up more often. In these cases, you’ll probably want to get your gutters cleaned more frequently.
- Region: Think about the type of climate you live in. Hot, dry conditions might mean you don’t have to clean your gutters as often compared to a wet and windy climate.
Knowing the types of trees around your home, being aware of the weather and understanding your climate will help you figure out the best time to clean gutters.
4 Benefits of Cleaning Your Gutters
Some people forget just how important gutters are to a home. When you take care of them, you’re investing in many advantages that will pay off in the future.
1. Prevent Water Damage
When gutters become clogged, water can build up, overflowing and harming the foundation of your home. With the right preventive techniques, you can stop that damage before that happens, protecting your home and saving on major repair costs.
2. Extend the Life of Your Roof
Clogged gutters can add excess weight to your roof, causing it to take on unneeded pressure. This can eventually start wearing your roof down and may even cause premature damage. Take steps to ensure its safety.
3. Improve Your Home’s Appearance
Cleaning your gutters has more than just a functional impact. Routine cleanings remove all that excess waste that’s popping up out of your gutters and return your home to its pristine appearance. You’ll be proud of the way your home looks.
4. Increase Safety
Cleaning your gutters regularly provides safety for many reasons. It keeps the foundation of your home sound, keeps your gutters sturdy, and protects you from contaminants. Buildup in your gutters can lead to mold growth. Cleaning them removes these mold spores, protecting you and others who live in your home.
How to Prevent Gutters From Clogging
In between cleanings, it’s important to take actionable steps to protect your gutters from clogging. Installing gutter guards, trimming trees, staying aware of the weather, and scheduling routine cleanings will help protect your gutters.
Install Gutter Guards
Installing gutter guards is a great way to prevent clogging in your gutters. These products come in a variety of types of qualities — make sure you find one right for your home.
If you have a canopy of trees overhanging your home, you may want to think about doing some trimming. This will help keep some of those leaves out of your gutters. Trimming also helps get rid of any avenues that pests could use to get onto your roof or into your home.
Be Aware of the Weather
Storms and heavy rainfall can create issues for your gutters. Check your gutters after periods of extreme weather to see if they’re draining correctly. Bundles of leaves can easily bunch up during a windy storm and clog your gutters.
Take Care of Your Roof
Gutter clogging can also cause issues with your roof — old age causes shingles to break off and debris to settle in your gutters. Make sure you schedule regular roof inspections and consider the life of your roof, as this will impact your gutter’s effectiveness.
Schedule Routine Cleanings
One of the best ways to prevent gutter clogging is to schedule routine cleanings. It’s important to get your gutters cleaned regularly to avoid issues and ensure there aren’t lingering maintenance issues that could worsen.
Find a Professional Service
While it might seem tempting to try to clean your gutters yourself, you should invest in a professional service for gutter blockage prevention. Professional services offer various advantages, including:
- Safety: Trying to clean your own gutters can be a safety hazard. It’s much safer to put the job into the hands of a professional service that knows exactly what they’re doing.
- Quality: Many companies have teams of experienced gutter cleaners who have been trained to do the job right. Investing in a professional service ensures you get a quality job.
- Reliability: Part of the perks of working with a professional service is reliability — when the work is finished, you know you can rely on the finished product. You can gain confidence in the effectiveness of your gutters in the future.
- Time: Instead of scheduling time to clean your own gutters during your busy work week, let the professionals help. A professional team will come to your home at a time that works best for you and take care of your gutter upkeep while you see to other responsibilities.
Finding a professional service is the way to go — the challenging part may be finding a trusted service. All Season Gutters is ready to help.
Request a Free Estimate
A professional service can help you figure out when to clean your gutters and how often. At All Season Gutters, we offer a comprehensive gutter maintenance program that includes a thorough cleaning, inspection, fast repairs, detailed reports, and continued support, even after the job is finished.
We’re committed to giving you the best experience possible with safe and quality service that you can rely on. Schedule a free estimate today!